Our health food philosophy at Après is to focus on adding healthy foods into our diet whenever we can. Although we do believe there is always a place for wine and dark chocolate, we do our best to stay energized, fit and happy by including these nutrient-dense, plant-based ingredients into our diets as often as we can. These ingredients are some of our favorites because they help rev metabolism and they taste amazing!
1. Citrus: Think lemons, grapefruit and oranges. Citrus is full of water and is loaded with Vitamin-C which has been found to help metabolize fat faster. Try lemon water in the morning, add grapefruit to your salad or snack on an orange mid-day. (1)
2. Matcha Green Tea: This power-packed drink contains catechins, an antioxidant that helps turn fat in the liver into energy and then has also been said to release fat from fat cells. Sip a cup in the morning or early afternoon as green tea does contain caffeine. (2)
3. Pea Protein: We love pea protein, not just because it's vegan and has an amazing amino acid profile, but pea protein has the ability to lower the hunger hormone, ghrelin. In fact, pea protein matches dairy protein's ability to make you feel fuller longer, which is why it's one of our core Après ingredients. (3)
4. Spicy Foods: Add a little extra spice to your curry or any other food for a fantastic metabolic boost. Spicy foods contain Capsaicin which helps temporarily increase your metabolism. Try adding red pepper flakes to your stir fry, slice fresh ginger into your tea or sprinkle some cayenne into your smoothie! (4)
5. Kelp: Sounds yucky but kelp can actually be really delicious and has great health benefits. Plus, it contains iodine which helps support the thyroid. You thyroid is the master regulator of your metabolism so it's important to support it as much as possible. Try a seaweed salad next time you are out for sushi! (5)
6. Water: Studies have found that drinking 16oz of water first thing in the morning can boost metabolism by up to 30% for an hour or more. Easy enough, right? Drink warm water with lemon in the morning for an extra boost and a nice tangy taste! (6)
7. Chia Seeds: These little guys are high in protein, fiber and omega 3's which give a powerful boost to your metabolism. Try making chia pudding, drink an Après or sprinkle some chia seeds on your yogurt or salad. (7)