Progress > perfection. Welcome to week 3 of our January "Habits For The Win" Challenge!
It's important to remember that exercise is a celebration of what your body can do, not what it can't. Switch your focus from wanting to look a certain way, and go after achieving a feeling and having fun instead. This week on the blog we're talking with Corinne Wainer, Founder of SHAKTIBARRE, to dive into the myriad of benefits of moving your body that go far beyond just physical appearance. To quote the wise Elle Woods who said it best, "exercise gives you endorphins, endorphins make you happy!"
Ever thought about trying barre? Here's just a few reasons why you should say yes and go for it:
- Increases bone density which can decrease our risk of osteoporosis and limit our chances of bone fractures.
- Increases muscle density that we otherwise lose a little bit of each year. Muscles help us function strongly, produce energy, and factor into our metabolism.
- Improves muscle elasticity (which decreases with age) by reducing inflammation as muscles “stretch without straining” one another or their tendon friends and improve in range of motion.
- Improves access to shaping bodies at any size if desired by uniquely focusing on isometric pulses that abs hold to target a greater surface area of muscles and balance out muscular structure.
- Increases therapeutic elements such as making us less injury-prone, asks for precision and alignment to improve our focus, and necessitates deep breathing that helps alleviate stress and worry.
- Increases physical resilience specifically in mothers by setting a safe, low-impact foundation for strength and exercise before, during and after babies (always consult your doctor first).
- Increases cardiovascular health by increasing oxygen uptake throughout our system in a conscious state of physical stress — aka the barre moves themselves — while allowing us to modify harder or take it easier on a given day depending on our own most ideal heart rate range.
- Oh and increases balance of course!
When it comes to exercise, consistency is key. Choose a way to move that you actually enjoy and feel excited to do everyday. The number on the scale or the size of your jeans does not define your worth. Haven't you heard, strong is the new sexy and here at Après we're all about loving and feelin' yourself. Alexa, play Feeling Myself by Nicki Minaj and Beyoncé.
Learn more about SHAKTIBARRE and take their amazing and ~above the barre + beyond the mat~ classes here!